Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Medical Update on Piper!

Piper had her first appointment with the pediatrician on Monday, June 21st. She only weighed 17 pounds 10 ounces! Her oxygen saturation levels were in the low to mid 80's. We were told her oxygen levels were in the 90's according to the paperwork from China. Piper was put on an antibiotic for a sinus infection. I spent three hours with our pediatrician discussing the list of concerns Erik and I had about Piper. We talked about her coughing everytime she drinks and still getting sick after eating or being in the car. She was also given four immunizations! She ended up having a fever for five days after her immunizations! It was so scary because we didn't really know if it was the immunizations or something else. She developed a cough on Thursday and I called the doctor to tell them we were concerned Friday morning. They wanted me to take her to the ER to have her checked out. I spent five hours with her at the hospital. They checked her heart rate, oxygen saturation levels, and her temperature. She only had a low grade fever by Friday, but the fever was still hanging around! Her oxygen saturation levels were still in the low to mid 80's. Piper had a chest x-ray taken. The x-ray was not clear because of her enlarged heart. The doctor presumed she had developed pnemounia, but couldn't be sure due to the x-ray not really being that clear. I saw the x-ray and it was clear on the right side, but on the left side it was all cloudy! It was very interesting to see! I was told that the antibiotic she was on should clear up her pneumonia and there really wasn't anything else they could do for her. We did have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the pediatrician on Monday, June 27th. Piper was weighed again and she gained three ounces in a week. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but it was huge to us! We are going to the cardiologist tomorrow. We are very anxious to hear what the doctor says about Piper's heart! We also take Piper back to the hospital on Friday for an upper GI study to see if there is something wrong that is causing her to cough and get sick! Piper goes back to the pediatrician next Thursday for another weight check and more immunizations!

1 comment:

  1. Will be praying for wisdom from the docs for your little sweetie as you all chart the coming plans and treatments for her. So glad she is home and getting the attention (medically and otherwise!) that her royal cuteness needs and deserves. If you all need anything, let us know. We'd love to help, however :) I have some tips and tricks we used to fatten up Li'l E over the last year (the docs were concerned cuz she wasn't gaining any weight for about 8 months). I'd be happy to share :)

    ReplyDelete